Here is a recipe of Vegan Indian Methi Matar Malai. This is a veganised version of another of my favourite dishes – Methi Matar Malai. This is my Mum’s recipe, exactly the way she would make methi matar malai ..only what I have done is replaced the dairy malai or dairy cream with cashew cream and have not used any ghee in this one. Tastes super delicious and I am sure my Mum would be proud of this Veganised Version.
If I remember correctly this was the only way we would eat methi other than the paratha form. Methi i.e. fresh fenugreek leaves are a bit bitter in taste so when you cook it with some tomatoes and add Vegan cashew cream in the dish..it balances out the taste and takes out all the bitterness.
Also… I am finally on Instagram and am totally enjoying it there. Since many years I have been delaying doing that .. I felt at that point that I could handle only so much interms of blogging and recipe creation and being a other…but am finally there now after many dear fellow Vegans started asking for it and me feeling bad about it. And I am finding that it is such a great place to connect with more and more Vegans worldwide. More like minded people who find what you have to share to be of value. And inturn I am learning so much more and buzzing with more and more ideas. I hate the word “Follow” so catch me there if you need more Vegan Food ideas and inspiration.
My Instagram handle is shilpa_asweetveganworld
Catch you there too..
As always sending loads of love,light and happiness your way..
One happy song in this beautiful rainy weather…before going.. which is on my repeat mode – Despacito. Enjoy! 🙂
Here goes the recipe of Vegan Indian Methi Matar Malai…
Vegan Indian Methi Matar Malai
250 gms methi leaves ( fresh fenugreek leaves)
1 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
1/4 th cup cashew cream ( soak 1/4 th cup cashews for an hours and blend into smooth paste with some water)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1 finely chopped fresh green chilly
fresh coriander finely chopped for garnish
1. Take a kadai and add 1 tsp oil in it. Then add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.
2. Add in chopped onion and saute for a minute.
3. Then add in tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, tomato puree, chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and a few drops of water. Mix properly and allow to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Then add in the peas and the chopped fenugreek leaves. Mix properly, cover with lid and allow to cook for about 10 more minutes. Add in sugar and salt and mix properly.
5. Add 1/2 of the cashew cream and mix properly and cook for a minute more.
6. Top it up with chopped green chillies, fresh coriander leaves and remaining cashew cream.
Enjoy with some roti, naan, rice, pilaf or any other accompaniment of your choice. 🙂