Here’s another super delicious ..super easy brinjal/baingan/eggplant/vanga/aubergiene/melanzana (it’s all the same) recipe 🙂 The masala in this recipe is exactly the same that we used in the plantain fry. The only difference is that we will dip this in semolina (rava). This small change also makes a huge difference in the taste and texture of the dish. Also brinjal itself is very different in texture and taste from the plantains, so though the basic masala is the same, the dish tastes completely different.
You know, I must share with you that it’s such a joy when kids who normally eat fish or potatoes come home and ask ..Aunty did you make brinjal fries?! 🙂
So two things 🙂 Yes.. when you become a Mom ..you get a tag of Aunty free with it!! Accept it and Enjoy this connection too with it’s own beauty! 🙂
And the other.. Kids themselves asking for brinjal is such a treasure. 🙂 Try cooking this same recipe for the kids in the shape of potato fries.. they will love it.
To know that you have incorporated love of atleast some veggies in their life is a good thing, na? Try it out.. 🙂
As always sending loads of love, light and happiness your way..
Here goes the recipe with loads of pictures…
1 big sized brinjal
4 tbsp. chopped coriander
1 green chilly
5 garlic cloves
1/2 inch ginger
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
2 tsp thick tamarind pulp
1/2 tsp salt
For coating :
1/2 cup semolina
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oil for shallow frying
1. Slice the brinjal into roundels as shown in the pictures above.
2. Make a green paste by grinding together fresh coriander, green chilly, garlic and ginger.
3. Marinate the brinjal pieces with this green paste.
4. Add in salt, tamarind paste, turmeric powder and red chilly powder.
5. Nicely rub in all the masala on the pieces from all sides.
6. Now take a separate plate and mix together semonlina, chilly powder and salt together.
7. Take a shallow frying pan and heat it up with some oil.
8. Now take each piece of brinjal and dip it in the dry semolina coating and keep it on the pan for frying. One by one dip all the pieces in semolina and arrange on the pan for frying.
9. Each side should take about 3 to 4 minutes to cook. Turn over the pieces and cook on both the sides.
10. Remove from pan and serve