You know one of my favourite thing to do is Veganise all the popular Non-Vegan recipes out there. And I never stop tweaking the recipe unless I am sure that it is absolutely delicious and irresistible. So this Vegan Scrambled Tofu “Egg” Akuri is the veganised version of the ever popular Parsi dish – Egg Akuri.
Egg Akuri is a like a semi soft scrambled egg with garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes and coriander and has this creamy consistency. Similar to Egg Burji but is more creamier and has chopped garlic and ginger. Vegetarians have the Dairy Paneer version but this one has Tofu in it. This dish is usually enjoyed with some soft Paav bread or on top of toasts.
I wondered if I would be able to create the same eggyness and creaminess in this recipe. So I have used kala namak (black salt) to create the eggyness and coconut milk to create the creamy semi soft texture. The coconut milk when cooked with all the other ingredients balances out the flavor and you wont find it coconuty at all. The result is truly delicious. Having eaten Egg Akuri before, I can bet that you will thoroughly enjoy this recipe. I would really urge you to try this one out! It’s that easy and delicious.
Once you get this basic recipe right.. no one stops you from adding some green peas, spring onions or spinach next time and get creative with it! Hope you enjoy it!
As always, sending loads of love, light and happiness your way!!
Here goes the recipe of this delicious Vegan Scrambled Tofu “Egg” Akuri.
Vegan Scrambled Tofu Egg Akuri :
250 grams firm tofu
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 fresh green chilly , finely chopped
1 tsp kala namak (rock salt)
1/4 th cup thick coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp freshly chopped coriander for garnish
1 tsp oil
- Take the tofu and crumble it with your finger tips into really fine crumbs and keep aside.
- Take a kadai or a wok and add 1 tsp oil in it. Let the oil heat.
- Add in the chopped garlic, chopped ginger and chopped chillies in it and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the chopped onions and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes till they turn a bit pinkish.
- Add in tomatoes and mix properly.
- Now add in the crumbled tofu.
- Add in kala namak, turmeric powder and red chilly powder and saute for a minute.
- Now add in the coconut milk and mix it all up together properly. Let it cook for about 3 minutes till the coconut milk and the masalas get nicely absorbed by the tofu. It should begin looking nice and creamy.
- Add in salt and sugar and mix properly
- Switch off the gas and garnish with freshly chopped coriander
- Serve with some lemon wedges and some soft Paav or any kind of bread.