This is absolute Soul Food for me Vegan Fada Ni Khichdi with the Vegan Coconut Kadhi! Doesn’t get much simpler, healthier and yummier than that!!Fada ni Khichdi is a popular Gujarati dish made with bulgur wheat, yellow split moong dal and loads of veggies… All cooked together in a one pot pressure cooker with some yummy Indian spices. You could cook it all in a crock pot as well. This is the veganised version – Vegan Indian Fada Ni Khichdi!
There’s nothing as comforting and nourishing as simple dal khichdi. This is a more heartier version of that simple khichdi, only this has bulgur wheat (fada) instead of rice and has loads of veggies. It’s again been raining heavily here in Mumbai this evening and couldn’t think anything better than this Khichdi accompanied with the delicious Vegan Kadhi we made earlier! Don’t need any dairy ghee or anything along with it, the Kadhi goes so well with it.
I know I haven’t posted my kitchen gadgetry section in the last few posts but I surely will when I can. I have learnt to not wait for perfection or else the important things just don’t happen. It’s more important that I keep sharing my Vegan recipes and keep spreading Vegan love rather than wait for perfection of the post. I am also learning to manage my precious energies where it is most impactful …it could be as simple as spending more conscious time with my son.. don’t want to be always tired and a hurried Mom for him. Also extremely important for me to always be grounded and be connected to my inner self. I am absolutely lost without that! 🙂 So these days it’s more conscious energy management for me than time management. Letting go of past recurring patterns that hold you back, cutting cords with anything that creates blocks in your way and always keeping clear energy and intention towards your goal is extremely important. Interestingly, the more you are aware of your own energy it will impact your food choices too. You will naturally make more nutritious, healthier and cruelty free choices.
As always sending loads of love, light and happiness your way!
Here goes the recipe of this delicious Vegan Indian Fada Ni Khichdi..
Hope you enjoy it!
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 and 1/2 cup yellow moong dal
1 cup chopped spinach
1 small potato, peeled and chopped in small pieces
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup green beans, chopped in small pieces
1 medium sized carrot, peeled and chopped in small pieces
1 tsp oil
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder (optional)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp pav bhaji masala (or garam masala)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp unrefined sugar
2 and 1/2 cup water
2 tsp fresh chopped coriander leaves
1. Soak 1 cup bulgur wheat and 1 and 1/2 cup yellow moong dal in water separately for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Take a pressure cooker and add oil in it. When the oil heats up, add in asafoetida powder, bay leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and stir it.
3. When the mustard seeds flutter add in the chopped spinach, chopped potato, peas, beans and carrots and stir properly.
4. Then add in bulgur wheat and moong dal and mix properly.
5. Then add in turmeric powder, red chilly powder, pav bhaji masala, salt and sugar and mix properly.
6. Add in 2 and 1/2 cups of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
7. Let it cook till the cooker gives about 4 whistles.
8. After 4 whistles , shut off the gas and allow the pressure cooker to cool down for about 10 minutes.
9. Open the cover of the pressure cooker and mix the khichdi properly. Add in a little hot water if the khichdi is very thickish.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with a slice of lemon.