What to do with left over chapatis? Make a delicious meal out of them! Yeah..this is again another of my favourite recipes which my Mom used to make.. So many memories attached to this one too.. 🙂 It’s so yummy that sometimes I use fresh chapatis and make this Vegan Indian Chapati Tadka recipe. You could also use your leftover tortillas, soft tacos, pita bread, roti or any form of bread for this recipe.
So basically left over chapatis are broken into small pieces and nicely cooked in onions, tomatoes and topped with fresh coriander and lime juice. What I like to do is add a bit of biryani masala to this recipe. Takes it to a whole new level and makes it a meal in-itself. Do try it out.. 🙂 Have it with some yummy Aamras (Mango pulp mixed with some sugar) and fresh cucumber salad. Super yummy!!
Such simple stuff right? 🙂 I have come to believe that the ability to see joy and magic in simple things in life is the biggest karma gift ever. Good karma is not always materialistic comforts, fame or popularity. It comes in various forms such as your interests, hobbies, ability to enjoy wonders of life in all it’s forms, spiritual knowledge, meaningful relationships, a sense of purpose in life, inner strength, ability to have a mind of your own, have courage to not be a part of thoughtless herd mentality and many many other forms. We normally don’t realise these small gifts.. but actually they are not that “small”.
As always sending loads of love, light and happiness your way..
Here’s to simple,sweet and pure things in life..
Here goes the recipe..
Vegan Indian Chapati Tadka
2 cooked chapatis/ rotis
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
3 to 4 curry leaves
1 green chilly
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp biryani masala ( or use garam masala)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
fresh coriander leaves
1. Take the cooked chapatis and break them into small pieces and keep aside.
2. Take a wok or a kadai and add oil in it. Once the oil heats , add in asafetida, curry leaves, green chilly, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
3. Now add in the chopped onion and saute for a few minutes
4. Add in the tomatoes as well and add in turmeric powder, red chilly powder, biryani masala, salt and sugar and mix properly. Add a few drops of water and aloow to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Then add in broken pieces of chapatti and mix well. The chapati is already cooked so it just needs to mix well with this masala.
6. Now add in the lemon juice and garnish with lots of chopped fresh coriander.