I’m so excited about this recipe. 🙂 Firstly, because I love Thai food and Secondly, this is veganised version of the popular Thai fish cakes known as Tod Mun Pla. So here is my veganised version of this dish called Vegan Thai “Fish cakes” served with Sweet Chilly Sauce.
So when I started using raw bananas/plantains in my Vegan “fish” curry and Vegan “fish” fry recipes, I realized that the taste of raw bananas when mixed the curry pastes is very similar to the fish taste. Also when I made Vegan Seekh kebabs I realized that soaked raw chickpeas when made into a paste, make really good kebabs. So this recipe is a culmination of those 2 discoveries and is made by mixing raw soaked chickpeas and peeled chopped raw bananas and making into a smooth “fish” like paste. The cornflour binds it together and gives a bit of strength to the paste. And when red thai curry paste and kaffir lime leaves are added in, it turns out super delicious and very close to the Thai “Fish” Cakes. I have shallow fried them in a pan and not deep fried them. You could also bake them or air fry them if you wish to. Hope you enjoy it.
These are usually served with a dip of a sweet chilly sauce which is made by simply mixing rice wine vinegar, sugar and red chillies and boiling it for a few minutes. I have also added kaffir lime leaves in it as I love the flavor. It is a light and delicate dipping which goes really well with the Vegan “Fish” Cakes.
So here goes the recipe…
As always sending loads of love, light and happiness your way..
Vegan Thai “Fish” Cakes
1 cup chickpeas (raw and soaked overnight or for 10 hours)
2 raw bananas, peeled and chopped
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp thai red curry paste
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
4 French beans, extremely finely chopped
oil for shallow frying
- Drain and wash the soaked chickpeas and put them in a blender. Add in raw bananas which are peeled and chopped.
- Add in the cornstarch in the blender and blend the mixture into a smooth paste.
- Remove in a mixing bowl and add in thai curry paste, finely chopped kaffir lime leaves and finely chopped French beans.
- Mix this paste really well and shape into small flat round cakes. Will approximately get around 11 to 12 depending on what size you make them.
- Take a shallow frying pan and heat oil in it.
- Shallow fry these round cakes in batches of 3 to 4 for about 3 minutes each side till they become golden brown.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce (either store bought or freshly made at home)
Recipe for Sweet Chilly Sauce :
For the sweet chilly sauce :
6 tsp rice wine vinegar
3 tsp unrefined sugar
2 red bird eye chillies
1 kaffir lime leaf, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped coriander for garnish
Method : Mix together all the ingredients and boil for about 3 to 4 minutes. Cool down , add in the fresh coriander leaves and serve.